Teaching Placements

Discovery College offers a variety of placement opportunities each year for current members of the teaching profession and those who are training to become teachers. The number of placements, and the teams / departments to which they are attached, varies annually.

Available placements / partner institutions

The following is the list of partner institutions for which Discovery College supports placements:

Initial Teacher Training Other forms of study
Charles Sturt University (AU)

Deakin University (AU)

Monash University (AU)

University of British Columbia (CA)

Hong Kong Education University (HK)

Massey University (NZ)

University of Dundee (UK)

Macquarie University (AU) – Indigenous Australian Scholarship

University of British Columbia (CA) – Community Field Experience

Hong Kong University (HK) – Masters in Chinese Second Language

Hong Kong University (HK) – Masters in Mathematics Education

University of California, Los Angeles (USA) – Certificate in University Counseling

Education University of Hong Kong (HK) – Bachelor of Education, Elective in International Education

Placements for 2023-24 are available in the following areas:

  • Primary
  • Secondary Individuals and Societies
  • Secondary Science
  • Primary Chinese (EdUHK BEd only)
  • Secondary Chinese ( HKU Masters only)

Application Process

Students of the above-named institutions are eligible to apply to the College for a placement during two application windows. The dates of the forthcoming windows are:

  • 6 – 20 May 2024
  • 6 – 20 January 2024(for placements in the summer term 2024 only)

Applications received outside these windows will not be considered.

Applicants should write to the Head of School for the sector in which they wish their placement to take place:

Primary: Ms Emma-Louise Cathrae (cathre2@dc.edu.hk)
Secondary: Mr Jonny Tate (tatej1@dc.edu.hk)

Applicants should include a CV and a covering letter of max. 1 side of A4. The College may opt to interview applicants prior to making a final decision.

Successful applicants will be notified within 3 weeks of the close of the relevant application window. At this point, prospective placement students will be asked to provide a range of details via completion of a Placement Information Pack, which will include:

  • Copy of HK permanent ID card or relevant visa for working in Hong Kong
  • Letter from one of the above-named partner institutions stating that you are studying there
  • Copy of the University’s third-party insurance
  • Confirmation document showing completion of the Hong Kong ‘Sexual Convictions Check’