Discovery College is an authorised International Baccalaureate (IB) World School and offers the four IB programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students aged 4-10 years, the Middle Years Programme (MYP) for students aged 11-16 years, and the Diploma Programme (DP) and Career-related Programme (CP) for students aged 16-19 years.
DC’s Guiding Statements consist of our Vision Statement (with Guiding Principles) and International Mindedness Statement, which help to define what is important for us as a school.
Vision Statement and Guiding Principles
Grow. Be passionate about being the best we can be.
Discover. Find wonder in the world around us.
Dream. Dare to make a difference for yourself, humanity and our planet.
International Mindedness Statement
International Mindedness is a commitment to celebrating our diversity where people know themselves and others, and demonstrate empathy by thinking globally and acting ethically. The three core components of international mindedness at DC are:
- Intercultural understanding – recognising and reflecting on one’s own perspectives, as well as the perspectives of others
- Global engagement – developing global and local awareness, perspectives and action, to empower learners committed to service in the community
- Multilingualism – the ability to communicate in a variety of ways in more than one language
Our Guiding Statements were reviewed in the 2017-18 school year and changes approved by School Council in April 2018.
In keeping with our commitment to International Mindedness, on this page you will find a list of annual events that the College acknowledges within its calendar and via display opportunities such as the Gate Screen, Ding! Banners etc. Such events are generally one of the following:
- Public Holidays as per the Hong Kong Government
- Festivals celebrated by members of the DC community, that reinforce positive community messages and our commitment to intercultural understanding
- Other events e.g. global awareness days, that reflect one or more of the five DC Outcomes:
- Be Agentic
- Be Internationally Minded
- Take Principled Action
- Achieve Highly
This list has been formed by suggestions from the DC community, reflective of the fact that it is considered the responsibility of all members of the community to contribute to celebrations and acknowledgements. In line with this, members of the community are asked to support the whole community by taking the initiative for appropriate acknowledgements and for noticing anything that should be added to this list on an annual basis.
Would you like to suggest an addition? Email with your idea!