Digital Literacies and Laptop Programme
All students enrolling at Discovery College in Year 6 or above are required to purchase an Apple laptop. This includes our current Year 5 students who will be moving into Year 6 next school year and newly enrolled Year 6-13. We also highly recommend you buy a USB backup drive of at least 1TB to protect your child’s work.
Our vision for digital and information literacies
Digital and information literacies engages with the DC vision (Grow. Discover. Dream.) to support:
- structured and purposeful inquiry
- investigating, creating, personalising, communicating, collaborating and organising.
- being responsible for their own learning.
- digital citizenship.
- developing and applying strategies for critical and creative thinking, making connections, and applying new understandings and skills in different contexts.
- international mindedness.
- authentic use of technology within learning and teaching.
- embracing new opportunities where technology can enhance learning.
Laptop and Computer Access
- students in Year 1-2 will access iPads provided by the College when required
- Students in Year 3-5 will access Laptops and iPads provided by the College when required
- students in Year 6 and above will use one to one computing and are required to buy a laptop computer and associated software in line with the current model being supported in the College. Current laptop model information can be found on the College website.
- all teaching staff are provided with a laptop computer and are required to use this for investigation, reflection, evaluation, lesson planning, developing resources, presenting and organising ideas, administration, reporting, communication with other staff, parents and students
- students may be asked to help develop and sign essential agreements about when and how laptops are used that are year level specific
Digital Citizenship Education
DC provides infused learning opportunities related to online safety and security when using digital technologies. Key resources that are used to highlight elements of digital citizenship include use of “Hector’s World” www.hectorsworld.com with students Yrs 3 – 6, which is an online learning environment that aims to educate through use of child orientated interests and tools. At MYP level developing positive digital citizenship involves ‘just in time’ education; for example, a project requiring music for a presentation can also involve a session of investigating issues surrounding pirating music, video etc. Sessions on Digital Citizenship are also held regularly during Learning Team morning time.
The school is committed to strengthen the partnership between home and school by offering presentations and workshops related to online safety and security. The aim is to form positive digital citizenship expectations that are consistent between home and school, with parents and school keeping each other informed about current positive and negative online trends to be aware of.
Apple Laptop 1:1 Programme
All students enrolling at Discovery College in Year 6 or above for the 2015-16 school year are required to purchase an Apple laptop. This includes our current Year 5 students who will be moving into Year 6 next school year and newly enrolled Year 6-13. We also highly recommend you buy a USB backup drive of at least 1TB to protect your child’s work.
For students without an Apple laptop
The ESF has negotiated very favourable prices and a customised onsite service plan with Apple and the pricing can be found on the ordering portal. This pricing is around 15% below retail and below normal education pricing. Apple’s authorized agent Senco-Masslink is handling the purchase as it does for all international schools in HK. This agreement allows families to buy up to two Apple computers (one laptop, one desktop) each year at this discount rate. Students must purchase one complete special bundle, this bundle included a special APP(Applecare Protection Plan) package with 2nd and 3rd year warranty and allow service through the onsite Mac Service Centre.
Visit the special order portal to place your order online.
Payment can be made on the website by cheque, bank-in payment or credit card through Paypal. HK$50 Supermarket Coupon will be offered to customer who pays Bank-in or Cheque for transaction amount exceeding HK$8,000. Each transaction is entitled for one coupon only.
Benefits of buying through Senco-Masslink including APP
- The laptops will be delivered ready for use. All DC network settings and software can be download via self-service.
- Access to warranty service and support onsite at DC.
- Access to a free loan machine in the case of any problem (warranty claim, accidental damage etc) Students who buy their laptop from other providers or DO NOT have the Senco-Masslink APP can buy the 3 year onsite SENCO Applecare Protection Plan separately (if your laptop is less than one year old) online through the link above.
If you do purchase through SENCO please note:
- Any warranty claim needs to be done at an Apple store (not at DC).
- Service and repairs out of warranty can be done at DC at cost.
Laptop collection for 2017/18 academic year
This year Laptops will be distributed at one collection and information session on: Dates for collection for the next academic year have yet to be finalised. Model changes have occurred at the ends of our last two school years. Because of this, and the problems it has caused in delivery and communication, we will not be offering a handout this school year. If you already own an Apple laptop (less than one year old) we recommend you purchase the SENCO Applecare Protection Plan 2nd, 3rd year warranty to allow service through the onsite Mac Service Centre. You can purchase it at www.eduoffer.com
We also recommend that parents of students in Year 6 and above ensure that insurance coverage is provided for their student’s laptops. Zurich DC MacBook Insurance Enrolment Form can be picked up at Mac Service Centre at Discovery College.
Year 6 Laptop Programme Introduction – Digital Citizenship
In order to develop a strong understanding of the key expectations in the Responsible Use Agreement, students in Year 6 participate in a year long inquiry class led by the Digital Literacy Coordinator. The aim of this inquiry is to help the Year 6 students transition into Year 7 and MYP with a sound understanding of appropriate, independent use of their new laptops and also to develop a digital portfolio format they can continue to use in subsequent years.
Digital Citizenship specifically inquires into what it looks like to be a digital citizen in today’s learning environment, utilising their new laptops and other mobile technologies in a positive manner. Elements that are explored in depth are; online safety and security, communication methods, the DC Responsible Use Agreement, design and layout features for good digital portfolios, skills needed to create their own digital portfolio based on inquiry findings.
To ensure smooth and productive user experience, all student laptops used within the college will be automatically checked for compliance in terms of content and applications loaded.
Responsible use agreement
All students who enter the College agree to abide by the responsible use agreement. A copy can be found in the Parent & Student Handbook.
Start of Year Check
We collect student laptops for a compliance check, system software upgrade, application installation, password administration, and general maintenance during the first two weeks of school. Please clearly label your name, network user name, and password on your laptop before you hand it over. The laptops will be collected and returned on the same day where possible. If your laptop is compliant, a compliant sticker will be adhered to your laptop.
Discovery College Apple Service Centre
The Apple Service Centre is located next to the Nurse’s room on the ground floor. Our Apple Technician can be contacted directly by phone 3969 1080 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org