All requests for 2016-17 DCPTA bus due on 21 March. Only for students living outside Discovery bay. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for processes.
- External Bus Routes – updated on 9 Aug 2018
- Route A Route B1 Route B2 Route B3 Route B4 Route C Route D
- Fee Schedule & Refund Policy
- Rules of Respect Agreement 2018-2019
- Terms & Conditions to Use Bus Service 2018-2019
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the arrangements for the Year 1 students on the first few days of the year?
Depending on the school arrangements for Year 1 students for the first few days of August at the start of the school year supplementary buses will be operated, subject to demand. Parents can arrange to collect their children directly from school on those days.
Where will the school bus drop-off and pick up from at Discovery College?
The school buses will drop off at Siena Club and the students will be escorted by Bus Supervisors and Discovery College staff a short walk through Siena park.
Why does my child’s bus does not leave directly after school?
- Students must all be accounted for by Discovery College staff checking the Bus Lists before students are permitted to leave the school premises. This generally takes 5 minutes however some children take longer to come from their class to the bus waiting area, so we allow 10 minutes from the end of school to departure from the school campus.
- Due to limited spaces for buses to wait outside Siena Club and some buses sharing routes, some students may have to wait at the school for a short while. School will ends at 15:10 and buses begin leaving at 15:20. This allows students to safely get from classrooms, to the bus waiting area and then to be escorted through Siena Park to the buses.
- Where some students must wait at the school, they will be supervised in the play areas of the school and should not be waiting longer than 20 minutes at the most before they leave the school to catch their bus.
Why is the bus fee not comparable to public transport?
- The Discovery College PTA strives to keep the bus fee as low as possible for students travelling to and from school.
- The bus fee is not necessary linked directly to distance travelled but must also include fixed overhead costs that we pay to the bus service providers such as vehicle hire, fuel costs and employment of bus supervisors to accompany children during the bus journey.
- Due to the extremely high workload in coordinating the buses for Discovery College, a bus coordinator has been appointed. This is a paid position by the Discovery College Parent Teachers Association, which also must be factored into the cost of bus service provision paid by parents.
- It is not possible to draw fair comparisons between the bus service provided with public transport and parents/guardians must make decisions on transportation arrangements taking into account all factors and not only cost issues.
Why do PTA subscriptions need to be paid in order to use the bus?
- It is a requirement of the ESF Ordinance that PTA subscriptions are paid by every family effective from the start of the academic year 2016/17. All families of Discovery College students will pay the HK$450 per family PTA subscription.
- The subscription fee is collected with the first instalment for use of the bus in order to reduce the number of forms completed for the PTA in order to simplify administration for the PTA Committee and for the families of students.
What happens if the bus service does not have a route in the area where a student lives?
- Where a student lives in an area that is not on the bus route due to insufficient demand in that area, arrangements can be made for such students to be picked-up/dropped-off at a location on one of the designated bus routes according to the bus schedule subject to availability.
- How a student gets to and from a specific location on a bus route must be arranged by parents/guardians. Discovery College PTA and the bus service provider cannot be held liable for any missed connection.
Can we have different pick-up and drop-off locations for the bus service?
- The buses will travel specific routes which have been determined based on the responses to the Transport Survey, subsequent uptake of bus places and, where applicable, approval from Discovery Bay Services Management Limited. The routes have been selected to minimize costs, minimized the duration of the bus journey for all and cause minimal disruption to other road users and commuters.
- Should a parent/guardian in very exceptional circumstances request a student to disembark at a different location on the same route from which they are picked up on either a regular basis or once in a while, they can submit a request in writing in advance to the Bus Coordinator at email@example.com , but we can not guarantee that any such request will be met and therefore parents should check on this before making a decision as to whether to use the school buses or not.
- Unfortunately, should a pick-up or drop-off at a location not on the specified bus route be required for any reason, such requests cannot be entertained and arrangements should be made to have students accompanied from their regular pick-up/drop-off location.
Will a one-way service be provided as the new campus can offer many after school activities?
No. For all school students the bus service is a two-way service in order to keep costs down and efficiency high.
Can a student take a bus that has extra capacity only when it is raining and pay a per trip bus fee?
No, the bus service provider and/or Bus Supervisor are not permitted to accept payment directly from any parent/guardian or student.
Will parents/guardians/helpers be permitted to use the school bus service?
It is not necessary for primary school students to be accompanied on the school bus as a Bus Supervisor is present and students should follow the code of conduct for using the school bus. Parents/guardians/helpers will not be permitted to use the school bus service.
What if I want to use bus service but there are no places available?
Unfortunately, capacity on the school buses is limited as the residents and management of Discovery Bay wish to limit the number of buses within the Discovery Bay Community.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org in order to join the waiting list for the bus route that you wish to join and you will be contacted as soon as a place becomes available.
What if I move during the academic year and I need to change bus route?
- You are required to provide notice of at least one (1) calendar month to the Bus Coordinator in writing at email@example.com
- Changing to a new bus route will be dependent primarily upon availability of spaces on the vehicle servicing the bus route and students currently using the bus service on that route are given priority.
- Should the fees for a bus route vary and a student is able to be reallocated, the new fee will be enforced effective from the next payment period. Fees paid will NOT be refundable.
What if I want to stop using the bus service during the academic year?
You are required to provide notice at least one (1) calendar month to the Bus Coordinator in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bus Service Supervision and Safety Concerns
Does the school bus service have a Bus Supervisor on each vehicle?
- Yes, A Bus Supervisor is present on every vehicle.
- The Bus Supervisors will report any misbehaviour to Discovery College.
- Parents/guardians must ensure that each student is aware of the code of conduct while using the bus service and is aware of the consequences that Discovery College will take in the event of misbehaviour including the suspension of the student from using the school buses services. The Rules of Respect must be signed and returned before student/s will be allowed to use the bus service.
- The Bus Supervisor will report any safety concerns or incidents where safety is compromised. Such reports will be published with necessary follow-up action also reported.
Does the school bus have seatbelts?
- Yes. Each vehicle used for the school bus service from outside Discovery Bay to the school will be full equipped with seat belts. We are currently reviewing the arrangements for buses within Discovery Bay.
- Parents/guardians must ensure that each student is aware of the code of conduct while using the bus service, which includes using seatbelts, and is aware of the consequences that Discovery College will take in the event that a student refuses to wear a seatbelt. The Rules of Respect must be signed and returned before student/s will be allowed to use the bus service.
Are parents/guardians/helpers be required to accompany students using the school bus service?
It is not necessary for students to be accompanied on the school bus as a Bus Supervisor is present and students should follow the code of conduct for using the school bus.
Use of Public Transport
What public buses can I take provided by DB Transit Services Limited from outside and inside Discovery Bay?
- Inside Discovery Bay, the number 9 route from DB Plaza stops at Siena Club which is a short walk from the school through Siena Park. Details of the up to date schedule should be obtained from DB Transit Services Limited.
- In the morning and afternoon, DB Transit Services Limited runs a supplementary bus service for students of Discovery College, DBIS and SKH Wei Lun Primary School from DB Plaza. Seats on this service are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Details of the up to date schedule should be obtained from DB Transit Services Limited.
- From outside Discovery Bay, there are two buses which stop on Discovery Bay Road only a walk through Siena Park to the school. These are DB01R from Tung Chung Bus Terminus and DB03R from Sunny Bay MTR Station. Details of the up to date schedule should be obtained from DB Transit Services Limited.
Does the school bus service make connections with public transport services or other services not coordinated by Discovery College PTA?
- The school bus service has designated pick-up and drop-off locations and a schedule as to when pick-ups and drop-offs will be made. It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure that students are at the pick-up location on the way to school and, where necessary, a responsible adult is at the drop-off location after school according to the External Bus Route Schedule (top of this document) and the Internal Bus Route Schedule (top of this document) provided.
- Discovery College PTA and the bus service provider cannot guarantee that connections with public transport services can be made in accordance with public transport timetables.
- Should parents/guardians wish to take public transport and have the school bus service pick-up and drop-off at a specific location to facilitate this, then it is at the parent own risk and missed connections are not the responsibility of Discovery College PTA or the bus service provider.
- Discovery College PTA and the bus service provider cannot wait at a specific location to facilitate connection with public transport or other services.
- Where a connection is missed, the student or the accompanying adult must make alternative plans and cannot rely on the school bus to take them to another location not on the bus route.
- For year 1 to 3 students, it is required that a designated adult accompanies the student to and from the school bus service pick-up/drop-off location should a connection with public transport or other services be desired so that contingency plans can be implemented should a connection be missed.
- With year 1 to 3 students, where there is no designated adult to collect a student from the school bus at a location, the student affected will be returned to Discovery College to await collection from the school by a parent or parent approved adult. Any costs incurred will be at the parent’s expense.
What happens if I want to use the public transport bus service and it is full?
- It is a parent/guardian’s responsibility to ensure that students arrive at school on time and leave after school closes.
- The option to take public transport is taken on the understanding that the service may be full and waiting may be required.
- Public transport is especially busy on rainy days and when there is inclement weather.
- Parents/guardians must ensure that students travel plans are made to accommodate possible
- Discovery College will not accept as an excuse for lateness that public transport services were
Should students be accompanied to and from school if they are using public transport?
- This is a decision that each parent/guardian must make.
- Please note, however, that Discovery College and Discovery College PTA bear no responsibility for the safety of students getting to and from school other than through transport services directly organised by Discovery College or Discovery College PTA.
Walking, Cycling, Scootering and similar
Can students living in Discovery Bay walk to and from school?
- Yes, Discovery College actively encourages this. There are adequate walking paths to and from the Discovery College Campus.
- Discovery College and Discovery College PTA bear no responsibility for the safety of students. Please pay close attention to the policies and procedures published by the school with regards to walking to and from school.
Can students living in Discovery Bay cycle or scooter to and from school?
- Yes, Discovery College actively encourages this. There is cycle parking available at the Discovery College Campus.
- Discovery College and Discovery College PTA; bear no responsibility for the safety of students using cycles or scooters (or similar modes of transport) to get to and from school and such modes of transport are brought to school at the students own risk. Please pay close attention to the policies and procedures published by the school with regards to taking these modes of transport to and from school.
- Discovery College and Discovery College PTA bear no responsibility for the safe-keeping, loss or damage of cycles or scooters (or similar modes of transport) used to get to and from school and such modes of transport are brought to school at the students’ own risk. Please pay close attention to the policies and procedures published by the school with regards to taking these modes of transport to and from school.
Should students be accompanied to and from school if they are walking, cycling, scooter or using similar modes of transport?
Discovery College and Discovery College PTA bear no responsibility for the safety of students getting to and from school other than through transport services directly organised by Discovery College or Discovery College PTA. Please pay close attention to the policies and procedures published by the school with regards to walking or taking these modes of transport to and from school.