In the event of bad weather, the following general arrangements will apply and appropriate public announcements will be made.
|Rainstorm warning system||Action to be taken|
|AMBER||School will operate as normal|
|RED OR BLACK||(i) Before the start of school||All schools will close for the whole day. If the warning is raised at the time your child sets off for school (s)he should stay at home.|
|(ii) After students have set off for school, but before the commencement of school||Schools will accept those students who arrive, and retain them until it is safe to allow them to proceed home.|
|(iii) When classes are in session||Schools continue until the end of normal hours and students are retained until conditions are safe for them to return home.|
|Signal||Action to be taken|
|Hoisting of No.1 Signal:||All schools will operate as normal|
|Hoisting of No.3 Signal:||All primary and secondary schools will operate as normal, unless advised otherwise.|
|Hoisting of No.8 Signal or above:||All schools will close.|
|Lowering to No.3 Signal:||All primary and secondary schools to resume with the following session, unless road or other conditions remain adverse. The Jockey Club Sarah Roe School will remain closed.|
|Lowering to No. 1 Signal or lowering of all signals:||All schools will resume with the following session.|
Parents of children who do not use the school bus:
It is essential that parents of Discovery College children who do not use the school bus ALWAYS check that the school is open before leaving their child at school, as we do not have a caretaker living on site and no other staff member living nearby.
In the event of a Typhoon number 8 or a Red/Black rainstorm warning while the children are at school:
- PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL AS OUR LINES GET BLOCKED and we are then unable to follow our school procedures.
- Contact your bus emergency contact parent.
- Check your emails regularly for up to the minute information regarding the times that buses have left school etc.
- Parents of children who do not use the school bus should arrange to collect their child, as soon as it is safe to do so.
- If a Typhoon number 8, or a Red/Black rainstorm warning is already in operation while the children are at school, the school buses will not leave school. Children MUST be collected from school by a parent or designated adult, as soon as it is safe to do so.