Discovery College Scholarship Programme
Scholarship applications for internal applicants will be accepted from 15-30 April of each year. Candidates who meet the initial criteria will be invited for an audition, assessment and/or interview during the month of May. Final award decisions will be made prior to the end of the academic year for commencement the following year. To be considered, students need to be entering Year 7 or above. Students who are successful in their applications will be awarded up to a maximum of 25% of tuition costs as an initial offer, with the exception of the Deserving Student scholarship, the level of which will be approved by the School Council on the Scholarship Committee’s recommendation. The level of award will be reviewed annually.
Scholarship applications for external applicants (students who do not currently attend Discovery College) are accepted at any time during the year and will be processed for a final decision within one month of receipt. Start date for external students will be determined on an individual basis. To be considered, students need to be entering Year 7 or above. The level of scholarship award will be determined by the scholarship committee.
Please Note: Discovery College will not offer scholarships where the College cannot provide adequate support to the student.
Discovery College seeks applications from globally minded young people who:
- possess skills necessary to conduct purposeful, constructive research
- are able to make sound decisions and to solve complex problems
- can receive and express ideas confidently in English
- demonstrate a commitment to learning languages other than English
- approach unfamiliar situations without anxiety
- have acquired a critical mass of significant knowledge
- have integrity, honesty, and a sense of fairness and justice
- show sensitivity towards the needs of others through service to the community
- respect the views, values and traditions of other individuals and cultures
- give thoughtful consideration to their own learning
Discovery College scholarship applicants:
- are full-time students in or entering Year 7 or above
- are able to be successful on the general admissions assessment
- are committed to extra-curricular and community service activities, participation in school and or community clubs and projects
- demonstrate leadership either in their academic, extra-curricular activities, or community activities
- have the demonstrated or potential ability to act as a role model to peers
- have NOT applied for a scholarship in any of the scholarship categories at Discovery College within the last 12 months
- a non-refundable fee of $600 will be required for students applying for Academic Scholarships. Cheques should be made payable to Discovery College.
International Baccalaureate Programme
Students should be informed about the International Baccalaureate Programme and its expectations. More information can be found at (www.ibo.org).
In addition to satisfying general selection criteria, the committee will select students in accordance with selection criteria specific to the scholarship types for which the candidate has applied.
If the number of successful scholarship applicants in any year level or category exceeds the number of places available, applicants will be selected based on the outcome of their assessment and interview.
Offer Process and Notification
All scholarships are awarded based on the digression of the scholarship committee. Students and their families will be advised in writing of the outcome of their applications. If an applicant is unsuccessful, some feedback will be given as to why the application did not meet the necessary criteria.
Successful applicants will be advised in writing of the terms and conditions of the scholarship. At the time of accepting the offer they must accept the conditions of the scholarship and agree to provide relevant personal information to enable the college to assess eligibility.
A Discovery College Scholarship covers a percentage of tuition fees for over an academic year, subject to a student’s continuing eligibility to hold the scholarship unless otherwise agreed.
The Discovery College Scholarship Programme does not provide financial assistance to students and their families for expenses extraneous to tuition fees. These include expenses such as:
- Stationery items
- School uniforms
- Field trips
- Lunch programme
- Miscellaneous Levy (including Non-Refundable Building Levy)
Conditions of Scholarship
Students and their families will be advised in writing of the scholarship offer and terms. Terms include, but are not limited to, expectations of exemplary behaviour, participation in College activities, contribution to the College, mentorship, demonstration of leadership, and academic achievement.
Students must agree to accept the conditions of the scholarship and consent to providing personal information relevant to assessing their ongoing eligibility to the college on reasonable request. This information will remain confidential between the college scholarship administrator/advisor, the Principal, and the applicant and their family.
The Discovery College Scholarship Committee will consist of the Principal, Head of Secondary, the Communications & Development Manager, and the PTA Representative on the School Council.
Current Scholarship Students
A list of the 2012-13 Scholarship Students is available here.
Applications and referee forms are available below:
- DC Scholarship Application Form: Doc • PDF
- DC Scholarship Referee Evaluation Form: Doc • PDF
Questions about the scholarship programme can be directed to
, communications and development manager.