Teacher absence procedures
Process for requesting supply coverage for school related leave.
Planned coverage (professional development coverage etc) - Teacher responsibility
- Minimum of 1 weeks notice.
- Copy and complete template for request (request for supply.doc found on resources/college/staff handbook)
- Email to AKG (Secondary) or VTO (Primary)
- AKG/VTO will email confirmation of request to Ada or sign hard copy and pass on. Sheet must be submitted by AKG/VTO.
- Copy and complete coversheet for work to be completed (coversheet for supply.doc)
- The supply teacher will most likely be one of our staff and not be a specialist in your area – please plan accordingly.
- Leave hardcopy of coversheet in NYG's pigeonhole, or SCL desk.
- Please leave class roll with your coversheet for supply teacher.
- NYG/SCL will try and make photo rolls available for them as well.
Unplanned cover (illness/emergency etc)
- Call Ada the night before if possible OR before 6:45am on the day (93066005)
- Email lesson plans to NYG/SCL & team leader before 8:00am on day of absence. (coversheet for supply.doc)
Internal supply responsibility (under allotted staff – see notes below)
- For planned absences you will know in advance and be able to liaise with the teacher concerned.
- For unplanned absences please check your email or pigeon holes before 8.15am for
- A cover sheet will be posted on the staff notice board in the social staffroom with all coverage for the day.
Supply teacher responsibility (external)
- Secondary - Meet NYG in staffroom at 8:20am or mutually agreed time if working part day, to get summary of the day's programme. Primary – if new meet with SCL in Primary Office (GF) or if you have worked for us before go straight to classroom.
- Secondary - Collect lesson plans from supply tray beside pigeonholes in staffroom (1F) Primary lesson plans will be in classrooms.
- Complete feedback on bottom of coversheet for each lesson.
- Communicate any difficulties with individuals or classes asap after class
- See Ada Chung (1F Office) to complete any paperwork
Requesting supply coverage for personal leave
- Email / discuss leave required with AKG/VTO for initial approval
- Once initial approval secured, complete ESF Vacation / Leave Application Form (available from Ada), get signed by AKG/VTO and then hand to MBH for final approval
- Notice required (as per form)
- For leave of three days or more – two weeks notice required
- For leave of two days or less - two days notice required
- Please note, the more notice the better, given the paucity of supply teachers in DB
- Once leave is approved, complete lesson plans as above. (coversheet for supply.doc)
Coverage for absences
In the first instance the College will try to cover staff absence using staff that are under allotted. Where this is not possible coverage will be arranged from a list of supply teachers.
A staff member is considered to have a full allotment if they are teaching 16 out of 20, 80 minute blocks in one week and take a Learning Team (Secondary) or Class Meeting (Primary). Any time allowance provided counts in a teacher's allotment.
Unders & overs
Any teacher who has a teaching allotment and time allowance that adds up to less than 16 blocks in one week is considered under-allotted and can expect to be available for supply. This can occur in any preparation period other than designated planning time.
To balance supply needs with available coverage from under-allotted staff a spreadsheet with a rolling monthly tally will be used. If under-allotted periods are not used in one week they carry over into the following week and so on. Under-allotted staff need to be aware of this and use any available under-allotted time that has not been allocated to supply in one week to plan ahead on the chance that this time may be called on in the following weeks. We will try to avoid this wherever possible.
In any month supply cannot exceed the number of periods under-allotted. Planning periods will not be used for supply.