Teachers at Discovery College will model life long learning to their students through the Continuous Professional Development Programme and through their personal learning journeys.
Professional development is about growth, renewal and the continuing development of professional people, which in turn has an impact on what happens in classrooms and schools generally. The support, professionally and personally, of staff members is absolutely pivotal to an effective school.
Discovery College recognizes that its educators are its most valuable resource and provides for their ongoing growth. In doing this, the school aims to sustain and improve the quality of its learning and teaching.
- a comprehensive staff induction and professional development programme will be provided for all new staff members.
- professional development will be linked to performance management.
- teachers are encouraged to source and apply for their own courses.
- the school will offer appropriate and varied professional development opportunities to staff.
- teachers will provide feedback and training to staff from courses/conferences which they attend.
- where possible teams of teachers will attend a conference/course.
- continuing in-school professional development is essential. All staff will be encouraged to offer training in, and inform their colleagues of, educational innovations, methodologies and their own areas of interest or expertise.
- as much as possible staff meetings will focus on professional and curriculum development.
- the application process for staff professional development will be transparent.
- preference will be given to professional development which addresses the school's action plan.
- an agreed proportion of the school budget will be spent on professional development.
- staff are encouraged to present courses/seminars/articles to the wider community.
- there will be a teacher only professional and personal development section on the web site.
- a professional reading library will be provided for staff.