Re: Arrangement on Drug Administration
Following discussions with their insurance company, ESF has instructed all schools to alter the arrangements for drug administration. The following procedures regarding medication being brought to and administrated in school will take immediate effect. Medication refers to routine medicines administrated orally (tablets or liquid). However, we are able administer mosquito cream to bites, hirudoid and antiseptic cream.
We encourage parents and physicians to minimize the prescribing of medication to be taken during the school day. Medications will be expected to be given before and after school hours when possible.
However, if your child requires medication in school please adhere to the following guidelines:
- A request must be received from the parent or guardian in writing.
- If the medication was prescribed by a doctor, a note should be received to the effect that it is necessary for the child to take medication during school hours. The note should give clear instructions concerning the required dosage.
- Any medication should be brought to school by the parent or parent's representative. It should be delivered personally to the school nurse or class teacher. The medication should not be given to the bus escort.
- Medications must be clearly labelled with contents, owner's name and dosage.
- A completed Medication Authorization Form (see next page) must be submitted to the school before the medication can be administered. For your future reference, the Medication Authorization Form is available on the DC website.
- Medication will not be sent home with a child. Where there is an excess of medication sent, these must be collected from the school by an adult.
- The school does not assume responsibility for any reactions that may occur following administration of medication sent from home, nor can there be any responsibility assumed if the parent does not send sufficient medication.
To protect your child, we will NOT prescribe/provide drug/medication to your child.
We ask that all parents follow the procedural guidelines for the safety of everyone in our school community.
Thank you for your support.