Emergency Response Evacuation / Lock Down
Any staff member identifying an emergency situation should (if safe and practicable):
- Take immediate action so as to remove the source/redress the situation.
- Take immediate action so as to ensure the safety of students and other staff.
- Phone or otherwise notify the Office Marshall of the emergency and provide details as to the nature of the emergency, the persons involved and whether injury to persons has occurred.
The Principal should be consulted if possible to make the decision. If the Principal is unavailable the Deputy Head of College or Head of Secondary should be consulted. If this is not possible the Business Manager should make the decision. Any decision to evacuate should be based on an assessment of the actual or potential danger at the time, if possible on the advice of the police, fire brigade or other emergency service.
The signal for an Evacuation will be the continuous ringing of the bell if the public address system is working. Where possible an announcement requesting evacuation will be made.
Evacuation will be carried out in cases of fire, gas leaks, bomb threats or other emergency situations where it is deemed that student safety will be enhanced by moving from their rooms to the emergency assembly area.
The signal for a Lock Down will be the stop-start ringing of the bell interrupted by an announcement requesting all students and staff to remain in classrooms/ offices with closed doors and windows. Other instructions may be given as required.
Lock Down will be carried out in cases of intruders on site, gas leaks, fire or other emergency situations where it is deemed that students' safety will be enhanced by remaining in their rooms.
Emergency Assembly Area
Siena Park on the grassed area in front of the amphitheatre between Discovery College and Club Siena.
Backup Emergency Assembly Area
Where it is deemed that it is not safe to use Siena Park the Foreshore Promenade will be used.
Coordination Centre – G/F office.
Parents and others who arrive at the school, concerned for the safety of students, will be directed to gather outside Club Siena.
Roles and Responsibilities of Key Personnel during an Emergency:
- All students must closely follow the directions of all staff.
- Students are not to re-enter buildings.
- All movement must be quick and orderly. There must be no running.
- When at the Emergency Assembly Area, students immediately make their way to their Class Teacher or Learning Advisor to have their name marked off. Students must stand or sit in line on teachers' instructions.
- Students must remain quietly in line until otherwise directed.
Level One Responsibility:
- Where it does not increase risk, get students to close windows and doors, turn off gas jets, air conditioning, electricity, etc.
- Direct students to leave the classroom quickly in a quiet, orderly way by the nearest safe exit.
- As you leave the room count the number of students in your class (include any who have left the room).
- Direct students to move with you as shown on the Emergency Plan in the room you are in and assemble at Emergency Evacuation Area in Siena Park (back up Foreshore Promenade).
- If not teaching a class at the time of the evacuation, move to the staff assembly area at the amphitheatre in Siena Park (or backup area at College end of Foreshore Promenade.
- Assemble your class in a line as quickly as possible.
- Collect your Learning Team Roll from the reception staff.
- Check if all students are present and consult with the reception staff re absentees to see if they exited during the day.
- Return your roll to the reception staff to indicate that all students are present.
Office Marshall – Business Manager (back up Facilities Manager)
- Account for all persons in the office area.
- Where practicable, get personnel to close windows and doors, turn off gas jets, electricity, etc.
- Direct staff and others present to leave the office and move quickly in a quiet, orderly way by the nearest exit. Direct reception staff to Siena Park with class lists.
- Check the allocated rooms and spaces are clear of students and staff.
- Staff to assemble in the Staff Assembly Area in Siena Park or the area closest to the College in the back up evacuation site on the Promenade.
- Report to the Deputy Head of College that the assigned areas are clear.
- In the case of a Lock Down security staff are to secure all external exits including shutters.
Reception staff – Ground Floor office staff
- Consult with the Principal, Deputy Head of College or Head of Secondary as to the required response on report of an emergency.
- Activate the Emergency Evacuation/Lock Down signal and announce over the PA system:
Evacuation: "This is an evacuation. Please leave buildings by the nearest safe exit and move to Siena Park and find your Learning advisor and follow their instructions. Once clear do not re-enter the buildings."
Lock Down during class time: "This is a Lock Down. Any students out of class please return to your class immediately. Class teachers please ensure that all students are present, secure classrooms and await further instructions. Turn off fresh air systems. Missing students and information about their whereabouts should be reported to the Ground Floor Office by phone in preference to leaving the building. Security staff, please secure external exits to buildings."
Lock Down during break time: "This is a Lock Down. All students and Learning advisors please return to you're your Learning Team rooms immediately. Learning advisors please ensure that all students are present, secure classrooms, turn off fresh air systems and await further instructions. Missing students and information about their whereabouts should be reported to the Ground Floor Office by phone in preference to leaving the building. Security staff, please secure external exits to buildings."
- Phone the appropriate emergency service.
- Immediately commence steps 2 and 3 in the event that the Principal, Deputy Head of College or Head of Secondary are not readily available.
- Remain and monitor the phones if safe to do so or move to alternate location as designated by the Business Manager.
Teachers not supervising students (Evacuation)
- Where practicable, close all doors and windows in room/office and move quickly by a safe route to the Emergency Assembly area on the oval.
- Assemble on the amphitheatre in Siena Park or on the area of the Promenade closest to the College (backup assembly area)
- Assist as directed by the Deputy Head of College or Head of Secondary.
Level Two Responsibility:
Per Arts Tech (south side)
Finance Officer (north side)
Business Manager (backup & support)
ICT Tech 1 (south side)
PA Primary (north side)
Nurse (backup & support)
PA Principal (south side)
Dev & Com Manager (north side)
Admissions Officer (backup & support)
||(inc Library L3)
Library Assistants 1 (south side)
Library Assistants (north side)
Head of Library (backup & support)
||(not officially used)
PA Secondary (north & south)
ICT Tech 2 (backup & support)
Caretaker 1 (south side)
Science Tech (north side)
ICT Manager (backup & support)
D&T/VA Tech (south & north sides)
Caretaker 2 (backup & support)
||(inc Pool Gallery)
Pool Attendant 1 (south & north sides)
Pool Attendant 2 (backup and support)
- Check the allocated rooms and spaces including toilets, offices and storerooms are clear of students and staff.
- Move as soon as possible and report to the Deputy Head of College that the assigned area is clear.
- Collect and deliver all class lists and Exit Book to the Deputy Head of College at the assembly area at Siena Park.
- Direct (and assist as required) students in the medical room to move to the assembly area at Siena Park.
- Identify any students who have exited the College.
- Provide information on exits etc to clarify any discrepancies identified by Learning advisors.
- Collect rolls again to indicate that all students are present and notify the Deputy Head of College of any students unaccounted for.
- Check staff against register and report all clear or absentees to the Deputy Head of College.
Level Three Responsibility:
- To assemble your Learning Team in line radiating out from the amphitheatre. Conditions permitting, have students sit down.
- To collect (or send a student to collect) rolls from reception staff at the centre of the assembly area.
- To check the rolls for the Learning Team and notify the Deputy Head of Secondary of any discrepancies.
- To stay with the Learning Team and keep them quiet and in an orderly line.
Level Four Responsibility:
Deputy Head of College
- Move immediately to the designated assembly area.
- Collect attendance reports from reception staff and team leaders.
- To respond accordingly re any staff member or student/s not accounted for.
- To monitor the situation and stand down staff and students when the fire services, police indicate it is safe to do so.
Head of Secondary
- Move immediately to the records point and check that the Deputy Head of College has collected the checklists.
- To take the role of the Deputy Head of College should he/she be absent.